A photo of leaves A photo of leaves

Vocations FAQs

Find out more about your calling

Here are some questions we are asked most often. If your query is not among them then please get in touch.

  • Do I have to have certain educational qualifications?

    Study skills and educational support are available at all the theological colleges.

    It is often suggested that candidates with no academic qualifications undertake a basic theology course, such as the Chelmsford Diocesan Course in Christian Studies, before attending a Discernment Panel.

  • Will I be required to have a medical?

    All candidates are invited to make Bishop's Advisers aware of any learning difficulties and disabilities they may wish to declare from the start of the Shared Discernemnt Process. 

  • I am divorced and remarried, can I be considered?

    Divorce in itself does not preclude a candidate from being ordained. However, in the case of remarriage, there is an additional process which involves obtaining permission from the Archbishop of Canterbury.

    The Bishop requires that the circumstances surrounding both the divorce and remarriage have been carefully examined.

  • Will I have to move house?

    Candidates for self-supporting ministry continue to live in their own home and in being appointed to a parish, the Bishop will ensure that you are within reasonable travelling distance of home.

    It is understood that a stipendiary candidate is deployable and so will move to live in the house which is provided by the parish in which they serve.

  • How long will the process take?

    The Shared Discernment Process is thorough and cannot be rushed. It will normally take between 12-18 months from a candidate first meeting with an Area Ordination Adviser to entering training.

For more information or to report anything wrong with this page please contact Sarah Wilson